Choosing Free anti virus software

Glen 15:32 02 Nov 2013

I have just received my January 2014 mag and read the article about anti virus programs. Can it actually be true that Microsoft Security Essentials is the worst performing of the 26 tested with score 9.5? Seems incredible to me. I put this onto my wife's laptop recently. My own PC has (paid for) Bullguard (score 15). Seems we would both be better off with QIHOO (score 15.5) Never heard of Qihoo before but PC Advisor recommends it. Any comments please. Glen

spuds 16:11 02 Nov 2013

"Any comments please"

Yes, I have one, and that is why not use something like the free version of Avast. I have been using it for years without having problems, and I suspect many others use Avast as well!.

rdave13 17:19 02 Nov 2013

I'll second Avast 2014 free.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 02 Nov 2013

Avast here as well

MSoft admitted that MSE was "basic at best" last month

AVG has got very bloated over recent years and is now slowing my Vista laptop.

Ian in Northampton 18:25 02 Nov 2013

Another vote for Avast. Used to use AVG and was very happy with security but, as others have said, it got too clever for its own good. Now very happy with Avast.

onthelimit1 19:10 02 Nov 2013

Was a fan of MSE but moved to the free version of Avira. Seems OK to me.

bumpkin 19:30 02 Nov 2013

" Any comments please." why not try Avast and draw your own conclusions. I find it good as do many other members.

Woolwell 20:12 02 Nov 2013

Gave up on MSE. Tried AVG but found that when doing a scan it could stop you doing anything else. Avast next stop.

john bunyan 20:40 02 Nov 2013

Another vote for Avira

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?