Choosing between laptops

Guady 09:36 10 Sep 2010

I'm trying to choose a new laptop! Does anyone know if the Packard Bell Easynote LM86 -GN 005 (17") has a DVD rewriter that will do both + and - DVDs? I can't find this info anywhere but otherwise it seems to do everything I need. The other possibilities are the HP562-110SA (17")or the Sony Vaio VPCEE2MIE. I also looked at the Dell Inspiron 15r - but this only seems to have wireless g/n (as opposed to b/g/n of most) Does this matter - and what does it even mean?
If anyone has one of these and can give me an unbiased view, I'd be really grateful. Please bear in mind that I'm not an expert, so need fairly simple explanations, please.

Ex plorer 11:06 10 Sep 2010

Packard Bell
click here

Depends what you want it for as to which is best for you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 10 Sep 2010

nobody use b any more it was the original standard (slow) for wireless communication.

n is backward compatible for g and b.

1. does it do what you want?
2. do you like the look and fell (if not you'll never be happy with it)
3. In my case can I easily slide out things like the DVD drive hard drive and memory for when and if I need to upgrade or renew them. Personally hate the vaios as seem overly priced and complicted to do even the smallest repair.

kristain 11:43 10 Sep 2010

it all depends on your requirement but i would suggest to go with HP

Guady 11:29 11 Sep 2010

Thanks for your help so far. Still trying to find out if all Laptops will re-write to both + and - DVDs. Even on the Packard Bell website it doesn't seem to give that info. Does anyone have one of these machines and can tell me first hand, or does anyone know how I can possibly find out? Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?