Choice of software for DTP that's not Publisher?

Radix Lecti 10:19 04 Jan 2006

Hi all, I'm going to need to purchase software for creating leaflets, booklets and posters.

What are my options?

I understand Adobe, Corel, Serif and Quark will all have suitable software (I think), but wondered whether anyone could point me in the right direction? For example, would it be CorelDRAW I'd need, Adobe Illustrator, Serif PagePlus?

Diodorus Siculus 10:23 04 Jan 2006

First off, why not MS Publisher. I use Publisher 2000 for booklets of between 4 and 60 pages and it is very good.

I also have Adobe Pagemaker 6 but don't use it any more. It's good but possibly overkill for what I need.

Radix Lecti 10:26 04 Jan 2006

Thanks for that!

Have you needed to get any of the publisher files sent over to highstreet printers? Have they been OK with that? Do they need the files in a certain format?

Cheers lots.

Diodorus Siculus 10:49 04 Jan 2006

Only a couple of times have I taken them to a professional printer and they are always happy to accept Publisher files.

Publisher has an option called "pack and go" which creates a self extracting file that the printer can use.

If you have a printer in mind, ask what formats they will accept.

woodchip 10:52 04 Jan 2006

Free Serif Software

click here

961 10:58 04 Jan 2006

Try Serif first

The current version is much cheaper than Publisher and earlier versions, which are by no means outdated, can be had for £20, £10, and, as Woodchip says, free from cover discs etc or from his link

If you don't like it, you can pick something more expensive

Radix Lecti 11:01 04 Jan 2006

Ah yes, I have PagePlus 9, however I need to recommend something for work (charity).

I think we'll stick with Publisher for the time being, and look to something a little more professional as as when it's needed.

Thanks for all your responses!

Radix Lecti 12:25 16 Jan 2006

Hmmm, thinking about this again I could do with some recommendations.

The softare will be needed for designing posters, leaflets, booklets etc.

Any personal recommendations?

Sethhaniel 13:18 16 Jan 2006

through Pagemaker 4 to pagemaker 7
I publish two A5 24 page quarterly magazines and most 'print shops' handle them in this format.
Have tried other programs -serif -Microsoft - but on comparison Pagemaker is the top of the range as far as i'm concerned - and it does the job how you want it to do - not how the other programs think you want it. ;)

Radix Lecti 13:35 16 Jan 2006

Thanks Sethhaniel, any idea if any magazines have an earlier version up for grabs on a coverdisc? I could cope with paying the cost of an upgrade.

pj123 13:37 16 Jan 2006

I use both Serif and Publisher.

I do a lot of ads (in Publisher) for a client but his printer always wants them as jpegs. The only way I know how to do that was to Copy and Paste them in to Paint Shop Pro and save them as jpegs from there. Now, thanks to Diodorus Siculus I see another way. I have never noticed the "pack and go" before. Will give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017