Choice of external drive/s and associated backup regime

compumac 22:39 11 Feb 2014

I have asked this on another post but that heading for that post was not really related to the questions now posed. Apologies for that.

On my one PC there are two internal drives, one 1TB containing OS and programmes and the other 500GB that holds all of my data.

I currently have two powered external hard drives used for Acronis images and Allway Sync synchronised Data backup. The one is only 500GB whereas the other is 1TB. I am considering REPLACING the 500GB with a 1-2TB drive or alternatively ADDING IT AS AN EXTERNAL THIRD drive for backups.

I use Acronis for images and Acronis NonStop as well as AllWay Sync for syncing data.

I also have another 500GB external drive for making backup images for my laptops as a separate arrangement.

I think that it was rdave13 on another posting who has an external drive that he only connects as a safety measure when making a backup.

Questions

1) Having a number of external drives - potential problems?

2) The advisability of leaving the new drive connected at all times?

All thoughts/comments/suggestions would be welcomed.

compumac 18:16 12 Feb 2014

No opinions then?

mart7 19:25 12 Feb 2014

Hi my peronal view on this

I wouldnt foresee any problems with a few external hard drives,i have 2 and havent had any thing untoward,both mine are always connected because i may want to access the data on them,but if your only using one for back ups then you may as well only turn it on when required

i would advise replace the 500mb with a 2tb if you can afford it,they are reasonably cheap at minute

click here

mart7 19:28 12 Feb 2014

This is the 2tb i have again reasonable price,one of the ops on here recommended it to me and its been faultless so far

click here

bumpkin 21:27 12 Feb 2014

You can have as many external drives as you like as long as you don't want to connect them all at the same time via USB in which case I think the maximum is 27. If using an external drive for backup purposes I would NOT leave it connected permanently on the basis that if it is not connected nothing can interfere with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone