Chkdsk\f

Huffster 19:50 10 May 2009

My PC is telling me to run Chkdsk\f as there is a corrupted file but I can't find this Chkdsk thing. Any ideas? The message comes on every time and seems to be slowing things down. I've run cleanup and tried to run the disk defragmenter but that won't run because of the corrupted file. It seems to be something to do with Symantec Norton Internet Security - so would be sensible to uninstall Norton and then use my new disk to reinstall? ( This is what's coming up as the problem, C:\PROGRAM/commonfiles\symantec shared\VIRUSD, I may not have it exactly right as it's slightly different every time.) Can you help?

VoG II 19:55 10 May 2009

Start, Run, enter

chkdsk /f

and click OK.

MsTechie 19:58 10 May 2009

If you have winxp click on start - run then type in cmd, from there type 'chkdsk /f' without the apostrophes, it will inform you that you can run this command next time windows is restarted click 'Y' for yes.

MsTechie 20:01 10 May 2009

But if you have Vista then the run command isnt automatically available, click on the windows button and type in the same command from the box that says 'start search'

Huffster 20:06 10 May 2009

I'm running Win Vista, and will give your advice a try and let you know when the problem is solved. Appreciate it.

Stuartli 20:28 10 May 2009

In XP I use My Computer>right click>Explore>highlight main hard drive>Properties>Tools tab>Error Checking>click Check Now button>select First option box (and second if necessary)>click Start button.

CheckDisk then works following a Reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?