CHKDSK utility

glen2409 23:50 25 May 2003

When I schedule CHKDSK, on restatrt it says cannot access volume. I use windows xp. Any ideas please?

woodchip 00:01 26 May 2003

Corrupt MBR, if it brings you to a prompt, type FDISK/MBR press enter to see if it repairs the MBR

glen2409 00:07 26 May 2003

I restart pc and then loads windows and says cannot access volume and windows loads up finishes. do not have chane to enter commend

Chris.h 00:07 26 May 2003

Check you have 80 wire IDE cables and they are seated correctly.

glen2409 00:09 26 May 2003

yeh they are ok, thanks

Brian-336451 00:10 26 May 2003

I'll probably be buried in a deluge of posts, but I was under the impression CHKDSK only worked with FAT/FAT32.

Does windows read the volume OK? If it does why not try Windoctor or such like from Norton or one of the other excellent 'health' tools?

glen2409 00:12 26 May 2003

chkdsk does run on ntfs. i have used before and no probs and all of a sudden get this mesage

woodchip 00:12 26 May 2003

Download a Startup disc from click here start with disc and do what I said above

glen2409 00:29 26 May 2003

could you please explain more woodchip

woodchip 11:23 26 May 2003

IF your computer will start with the floppy disc above on the click hear, at the a:\Prompt type FDISC/MBR it should repair the partition information. from another known good MBR on the drive the info on the partition on your drive is not what it should be for windows to work with. There is a possibility that Drive overlay software may have been use to setup and format the disc it should tell you when you boot your computer on the black screen look for something on the lines of MaxBlaster or Seagate

woodchip 11:24 26 May 2003

IF your computer will start with the floppy disc above on the click hear, at the a:\Prompt type FDISC/MBR it should repair the partition information. from another known good MBR on the drive the info on the partition on your drive is not what it should be for windows to work with. There is a possibility that Drive overlay software may have been use to setup and format the disc it should tell you when you boot your computer on the black screen look for something on the lines of MaxBlaster or Seagate. PS if Drive Overlay as been used Scandisk will not work on the Drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?