Chkdsk on start up

bjantbear 11:16 31 Aug 2007

When I start up my PC chkdsk automatically starts. It has only started to do this during the last few days.

I followed the advice that has been in the helproom before to clean out the dirty bits but chkdsk still keeps running.

When I checked the event log it tells me that I have 0 bytes in a bad sector and when I run the "fsutil dirty query f" (F is the secondary drive) it tells me that it is still dirty.

Does this mean that my HD is going u/s or is there a way I can stop chkdsk from starting automatically.

Regards

johndrew 12:42 31 Aug 2007

When this happened to me, the HDD in question was failing and did fail during tests advised by Maxtor/Seagate. I should add the drive was a few weeks over 2 years old at the time of failure and was replaced under warranty by Seagate.

I would suggest you go to the manufacturers site for your drive and download the checking utility. If this indicates a problem you would be wise to backup all essential data or make a clone of the drive.

bjantbear 17:01 31 Aug 2007

Thanks folks,

I don't know what happened but it seems alright now even though I didn't do anything except close down and restart later.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?