CHKDSK at every boot up

Pamy 10:44 08 Jul 2007

Hello everyone, I am sure this question has been asked before but I cannot find it. The other day the BSOD popped up and said windows had found a fault (driver) and would have to close. I re-booted and CHKDSK did its thing and all was well again. Now every time I boot up CHKDSK wants to do its thing, Can someone please tell me how to stop this unnecessary check at each boot up?

birdface 10:58 08 Jul 2007

Googled.click here

tobyb121 10:58 08 Jul 2007

This seems to be a fix:
1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query C:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk C: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

It is from this site click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:00 08 Jul 2007

click here seems to work.

G

Pamy 11:08 08 Jul 2007

Thanks guys, will give it a try and report back latter

Pamy 11:22 08 Jul 2007

Hey guys, buteman, tobyb121, GANDALF <|:-)>, many thanks for directing me to site and answer to my problem. C: was not dirty so I did it again for D: which was dirty. Followed instructions and it booted up this time without CHKDSK. Have printed instuctions for future ref.
Thanks again for quick responce and answers.

Pamy

johndrew 16:47 08 Jul 2007

A word of warning.

I suffered this same problem on and off for some months until my HDD failed. I would suggest you ensure that everything is backed up. I had literally just replaced the HDD in question (I cloned the new one from it) when it failed during formatting.

I was very lucky. Even though I use Acronis for backing up, it is easier to clone an active drive than create a new drive from a backup, which may be a couple of weeks old, and have the problem of recovering lost information and updating everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?