Chkdsk and Defrag

whiskey8 11:46 01 Jan 2007

Please can someone help!!

Had a thread in Absolute Beginers with regards to the above.Gone down many paths and alleyways, but still cannot defrag without this chkdsk.(I thought wireless was bad enough!!)

Right click on my computer, right click on C Drive
Tools, clicked both boxes, answer Y, Reboot.

Now for approx 5 seconds I get a message.
Check file system on C
the type of file system is NTFS
Cannot open volume for direct access
windows has finished.

Still can't defrag!! I do like things working correctly.

skidzy 11:55 01 Jan 2007

Can you post the link,if you have had some advice already...its better to stick with the same thread to reduce confusion and repeated methods of a possible fix.

Maybe you would be better to ask the FE to move your original thread across to the Helproom and tick this one resolved.

howard64 11:59 01 Jan 2007

not seen your other post but defrag, especially the windows built in one, is notorious for being flaky. In order to run it I would start in safe mode and make sure nothing else is running in the background. No connection to the net and with anti virus and firewalls off. I use the paid for version of diskeeper which runs in the background all the time keeping everything running smoothly.

whiskey8 12:08 01 Jan 2007

click here

Skidzy,

This is the link I used.

whiskey8 12:25 01 Jan 2007

howard64
I have tried your method, but it was a no go.
I have downloaded the 30 day free trial of Diskeeper, but it will not operate because of the "chkdsk"

bof:) 12:46 01 Jan 2007

Hi whiskey8, does this help?

click here

Mike

Pamy 13:17 01 Jan 2007

whiskey8, have looked for your original post in Absolute beginers and cannot find it. will you just please state the problem you are having with CHKDSK, as untill this is resolved you will not be able to do a defrag

whiskey8 13:29 01 Jan 2007

Pamy,
Just the other day I went to defrag the system, clicked on defrag when a message appeared
Disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is schedualed to run on C. Please run Chkdsk /f
I clicked ok.
I then ran through various things, but still no luck.
Whatever you try to do to resolve this problem, you still get the above message appear when you try to defrag.

Pamy 13:33 01 Jan 2007

Clickin OK does not run CHKDSK, have you actually run CHKDSK /F ?

skidzy 14:24 01 Jan 2007

" Had a thread in Absolute Beginers with regards to the above.Gone down many paths and alleyways, but still cannot defrag without this chkdsk.(I thought wireless was bad enough!!)"

The link required is the the previous thread in absolute beginners please.

Even if its to find out exactly what you have tried so far.

And from your previous MS link did you use the guided help ?

whiskey8 15:01 01 Jan 2007

have run chkdsk two or three times, but it still will not go away from defrag

have tried guided help from ms link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?