Chipset fan noise on startup

Aziraphael 17:59 24 Jan 2007

I have an Asus A8N Sli Deluxe mobo, about 2 years old. For the last 6 months it's been making some horrible grinding noises on start up. By process of elimination (sticking my fingers into the various fans) I've discovered it's the chipset fan on the mobo.

Apparently this is a VERY common fault on this mobo.

Question is, how do I know which after marked chipset fan is compatible with this mobo?

Totally-braindead 18:16 24 Jan 2007

Same board as me and yes you're right a common problem. And this is not the only board with this problem, my last one a Gigabyte board has 2 Northbridge fan failures in a bit over 2 years.
Because of this I replaced it with a Zalman Northbridge Heatsink. Cheap, easy to fit, no fan to fail and if or should I say when my Northbridge fan fails on this board I will replace it with a heatsink too. Far better than having to dismantle the computer each time.
click here out of stock at the moment but other companies will have them.

Totally-braindead 18:18 24 Jan 2007

Heres one and cheaper click here

PaulB2005 18:20 24 Jan 2007

Same motherbaord here. To retain your warranty e-mail Asus and they'll send you a new chipset fan for free. Had two replacements as the first was the same as the original chipset fans but the second is a new improved design.

Aziraphael 18:45 24 Jan 2007

Just ordered that Zalman heatsink.....my computer sounds worse by the minute.....thanks for advice.

Microdirect were doing it for £3.40 and cheap postage so went with them...they seem to be cheapest for most things recently.

Aziraphael 11:26 27 Jan 2007

What fun. Just had to pull the entire innards out of my computer to get the motherboard out so I could get those pushpins out of the back of the baord. Why can't they just screw them down?

Anyway, Zalman is in, and the computer still works so I guess I put everything back in right.

Thanks again guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?