Child Protection Act

babybell 13:15 16 Feb 2006

This will seem a bit off topic but i've been looking for information regarding website content and what is allowed/not allowed in regards to minors so i thought i'd ask you guys to see if any of you know. Basically I run a website for the local rugby team and they have a under 16's youth team. The coach has asked if we can add a player profile to the site but i am concerned as to what the laws are regarding names and photos of under 16's are. Some people have said photos are fine, but we can't put names next to the faces, others have said we can't do it and others have said anything is fine is parents have given permission. Does anyone know the actual law regarding this. Thank you

stalion 13:20 16 Feb 2006

this needs to be posted in speakers corner.copy and paste it in to a new thread there
Regards

Belatucadrus 13:28 16 Feb 2006

click here for the Information Commissioners guidance on the Data protection act.

click here the "Data Protection Good Practice Note: Taking Photographs in Schools " may also be of interest, even if not directly applicable.

lotvic 13:30 16 Feb 2006

click here

quote """Using images
Including images of pupils on the school website can be motivating for the pupils involved and provide a good opportunity to promote the work of the school. It is important to balance the potential risks of including images of pupils on the website against the design principles of creating colourful, attractive and relevant pages, as the school, heads and governors would do with any publication.

Schools need to develop a policy in relation to the use of images of pupils on the school website. The head and governors will need to make decisions about the type of images they consider suitable and that appropriately represent the school. They will want to ensure that parents support their policy. Further guidance may also be available from the local education authority (LEA).

When assessing the potential risks in the use of images of pupils, the most important factor is the potential of inappropriate use of images of children. Considerations include:

* Ask for parental permission before using images of pupils, whether on the school website or elsewhere. This ensures that parents are aware of the way an image of their child is representing the school. A parental consent form is one way of achieving this.

* Avoid using the first name and last name of individuals in a photograph. This reduces the risk of inappropriate, unsolicited attention from people outside school. An easy rule to remember is:
o If the pupil is named, avoid using their photograph.
o If a photograph is used, avoid naming the pupil.

* Consider using group photos rather than photos of individual children.

* Ensure that the image file is appropriate named – do not use pupil names in image filenames or Alt tags.

* Only use images of pupils in suitable dress to reduce the risk of inappropriate use.

* Create a recognised procedure for reporting the use of inappropriate images to reduce the risks to pupils."""
/end quote

GroupFC 13:54 16 Feb 2006

"...Does anyone know the actual law regarding this..." - I'm not sure that there is any specific law as such (after all most 16 year olds will be quite capable of building a site and putting up any information they want for all to see!!).

I am an assistant Cub Scout leader and the group I belong to has a very active website maintained by the Cub Scout leader. The rules (self-imposed) that we operate are very similar to those shown above by lotvic. Basically, no last names, few, if any, individual photographs, no inappropriate photographs (young people in sleeping attire, swimming, partially dressed etc.) and general common sense for the protection of the young people.

The other point (also in lotvic's post above) is that all of our parents have given implied permission for images of their children to be used on the website. We do not use specific permission, all the parents are aware when they send their child to our group, their photograph may be used on the website and have given implied permission by joining the group. If a parent does not want a child’s image to be used, we merely ask that they let us know accordingly.

In your situation, I would suggest that before going any further you need to get some “ground rules” in place regarding what content is allowed to be put on the club site. Depending on the arrangements at the club, these rules ought to be agreed by the committee/club officials.

HTH

€dstowe 13:58 16 Feb 2006

It is very sad that this sort of thing has even to be thought about, never mind acted upon.

GroupFC 14:17 16 Feb 2006

I couldn't agree more but unfortunately in this day and age these are the realities for those of us that work with young people either in a professional or volunteer capacity.

Gongoozler 15:10 16 Feb 2006

On our Scout Group website, we frequently publish photographs of the children, but NEVER publish names. When children join parents sign a form accepting that this is our policy.

namtas 15:58 16 Feb 2006

I do not think that there is a statutary law on this but I would think it is no different to your local newspaper they take a photo and the name and then print, they dont even ask permission. The assumption is here I understand that as you are aware it is for a newspaper you are automatically given them right to print. In your case I would think as long as yoou have written permission from each parent it would be ok.

bremner 16:06 16 Feb 2006

What lotvic has posted are the recommended guidelines. As far as the law is concerned that is a different matter.

'Illegal' indecent images are those that depict children in an obscene or explicit manner. click here

pj123 16:23 16 Feb 2006

I also agree with €dstowe, so sad.

I have two nieces, both 12 and identical twins.

I have always got "big hugs" from them whenever/whereever they see me. Can't do that now, I would be frightened that someone would report me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?