cheeky google

bendigo 17:31 16 Oct 2009

I recently got an email from a relative in the u.s.a
the subject being 'name name wants to chat' when I opened the mail, it was a set of links to install 'gmail' and 'google talk'. I immediately contacted my relative to see if he had sent the email and he knew nothing about it. If this is genuinely from google then I consider it to be a rotten way to behave. Has anyone had a similar experience. If it's a phishy thingy who do we tell?

Sea Urchin 18:10 16 Oct 2009

Yes, it appears that Google does send these "invitations" on behalf of the user without their knowledge.

click here

bendigo 08:41 17 Oct 2009

sea urchin. thanks for answer, I opened the link but was not quite sure what action I should take to prevent further instances of the intrusion occurring. advice please?

Technotiger 08:47 17 Oct 2009

If it was me, I would immediately stop using Google Mail!

Input Overload 09:01 17 Oct 2009

Google mail is free, it's not the end of the world to get such mail. You don't need to be a professor to ignore the links and bin it.

Although some people namely my relatives seem compelled to click on 'You have just won $3 billion click here to claim your reward'. Those that continue to do this sort there own PC's out now.

Sea Urchin 12:08 17 Oct 2009

>> I opened the link but was not quite sure what action I should take to prevent further instances of the intrusion occurring. advice please? <<

My link was merely to demonstrate that Google DO send these "invitations" using clients address books. Absolutely nothing you can do - but as Technotiger says your relative in the USA could stop using googlemail if they so wished.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?