checking usb ports

qwesaws 07:44 21 Mar 2006

I have a occasional problem with virgin broadband connection witch is sometimes cured by unplugging and plugging the usb .
Is there some way to check the usb`s to see if they are working apart from plugging in devices

johnnyrocker 08:59 21 Mar 2006

depends on the operating system you have.

johnny.

qwesaws 06:39 23 Mar 2006

XP

bjh 10:05 23 Mar 2006

Do you have the slightly domed version of the 330; it normally has a silver top.

Or do you have the smaller, flat topped version.

They are both Speedtouch 330's, but the silver domed ones DO have power problems, whilst the smaller (newer ) ones do not.

I have two of each on different connections, and the domed ones fail to power up about 25% of the time, while the others have never had this problem. (Well, I did have two of the domed ones, until my anger mamagement circuit failed, and I swung the bugger by its tail. New expression: not enough room to swing a USB modem!!).

The problem is partly resolved by either a seperate usb cable or port change, or by a powered hub, but it doesn't stop it!!

I'll try & find some pictures to explain modem types better!

bjh 10:11 23 Mar 2006

Ok, the equipment at

click here

is the newer type

click here

is the older type.

I'm guessing you have the older type.

Others on this forum (aside from me) have found this problem with the older type.

I think you can order a new one for free from the first link, once you have signed in!

Give it a try!!

qwesaws 08:28 24 Mar 2006

bjh- thanks for all that actually I`ve got the black flat modem I had the siler dome top when I was with wanadoo and I had endless problems which is why I changed isp At the moment having plugged the modem into a different port the problem has been resolved I hope for good anyway thanks a lot for your interest and help.
eric

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?