Checking file system on C

gemster 17:03 17 Mar 2010

Hi,

Today I installed a laptone usb wireless adapter onto my Dell vostro pc. Installation went fine, driver installed fine and I connected to the internet with no problems. FYI I am running Vista Business(32-bit)

On the second time of starting my PC (during boot)it comes up with a message saying "Checking file system on C, One of your disks may need to be checked for consistency" This process gets to stage 3 of 3 but I can't seem to get any further. I've tried re-starting the computer a few times, and I have left if for over an hour now and still not getting past stage 3.

Is the usb adapter at fault? Is there anything I can do to fix this as I cannot get past this boot screen?

Thanks

User-1229748 17:18 17 Mar 2010

i think it can take hours according to a quick google.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 17 Mar 2010

Is the usb adapter at fault?

No
To stop it running tap any key as soon as the machine starts to boot, if that doesn't work then tap F8 at boot and select safe mode.

When booted into windows:-
To disable automatic disk checking at Windows startup through registry, go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

In the right hand pane, double click BootExecute.

The default value of the key is autocheck autochk *

* means every drive is checked for consistency. Just add /K:C at the end before *. /K switch will disable autocheck on C: drive at Windows startup. So the final value should look like this:

autocheck autochk /k:C *

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017