Checking external hard drive 'health'

gardener 17:34 05 Oct 2005

I'm not paranoid but....does anyone know of a way to check the 'health' of a USB external hard drive?

I have loads of backups on mine and it suddenly crossed my mind that one day the drive may(will)die.The SMART monitor presumably only works with the internal IDE drive and so I will receive no prior warning of a disaster.

The external drive is a Maxtor and I can find no documentation regarding my fear.Can any other manufacturers help me to sleep at night?

Kev

rawprawn 17:43 05 Oct 2005

The only way I can think of is to plug it in then go to Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disc Management, and look for healthy. I am not sure this will answer your question. I don't know if you can run scandisk on an exterior drive. I will google.

rawprawn 17:47 05 Oct 2005
  De Marcus™ 17:52 05 Oct 2005

What model drive is it? They may be a diagnostic utility from maxtor that can check it for you.

On the other hand I can check my freecom external drive using the same process as the internal one, i.e. right clicking on it, properties, select the tools tab and then disk check.

gardener 17:58 05 Oct 2005

Thanks rawprawn and De Marcus.I shall have to start checking on a regular basis.However,it would be more convenient to have some sort of SMART-type monitoring running in the background.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 05 Oct 2005

Download maxblast4 for windows from the maxtor website

It will detect a maxtor drive even if pluged in via USB and if SMART is enabled it can read the information.

gardener 18:13 05 Oct 2005

Fruit Bat/\0/\,thanks for that.I'll get it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?