Checking external drive for bad sectors

Southernboy 21:30 01 Sep 2005

Not possible by simply clicking on the drive, selecting ERROR CHECKING and ticking the boxes. Only works with internal drives.

Can be done by going to START>PROGRAMS>COMMAND PROMPT and then typing in CHKDSK /?. This gives me a selection of CHKDSK operations but, when I try to check drive G, I get the following:

Drive is use by another operation. Select /X which Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary, All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid. (Implies /F)

Now, I have seen some gibberish in computer language, but this takes the biscuit - what the blazes does it mean?

VoG II 22:06 01 Sep 2005

Right click My Computer, Properties, System Restore tab. Click on the drive shown in the window, Settings button and turn off System Restore on the external drive.

Southernboy 22:24 01 Sep 2005

System Restore applies to external drives?

I am reluctant to lose all my previous restore points as I have other issues which may require me to carry out a further System Restore to an earlier point than the last one.

VoG II 22:36 01 Sep 2005

Yes System Restore applies to external drives. I have applied the procedure described above to prevent restore points being created for my own external drive. It is a per-drive setting.

woodchip 20:03 02 Sep 2005

Yes it applies to all drives partitions. You should only need Restore points for the Operating System Drive or Partition. If it's turned on for other drives it just wastes space also stops you being able to turn off the external drive

Southernboy 14:03 01 Oct 2005

I have printed off and will try the suggestion.

However, one other thing has occurred to me. A Maxtor One-Touch has Retrospect software bundled which can be operated by a touch of the button. I wonder if this is the "in use" culprit. Can this be disabled to check? I don't want to uninstall and I need to know how to reverse the diable action, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?