Checking BIOS

porridge 10:11 05 Oct 2005

Can anyone please tell me how to get into BIOS? I want to check if my A drive is properly set up since it is not working as it should.

I have Windows XP home edition.

Thak you.

Porridge

De Marcus™ 10:15 05 Oct 2005

tap delete or f2 as you switch on the pc.

Methedrine 10:16 05 Oct 2005

When your PC is doing its POST, check the screen for an instruction such as "Press DEL to enter setup".

A drive not working properly? Is the light on the drive on all the time? If so, unplug and turn over the ribbon cable and plug it back in.

porridge 21:45 05 Oct 2005

Thank you both De Marcus and Methedrine.
I have tried clicking on delete at startup and a screen appears for a flash and as far as I could see it said something about BIOS but it vanished so quickly that I was unable to read it never mind use it. Can you say how I can hold it? Should I press delete and keep it down? Frankly I have tried several times but the screen flashes away so quickly that I cannot see what it says. Any ideas?

De Marcus™ 21:47 05 Oct 2005

Try both delete buttons (backspace and del) pressing rapidly as soon as you switch on or a long press. Don't forget to substitute f2 for del should it not work.

Skills 21:47 05 Oct 2005

If you press the pause button on your keyboard this will pause the boot up process and give you a chance to read on screen messages. You then either hit the pause again to continue or any key I can't remember exactly as I haven't had to in a while.

porridge 21:17 06 Oct 2005

Thank you all for your help: de Marcus, Methedrine,Skills. I have finally managed to get the screen to stop so that I could read the messages.

Most grateful,

Porridge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?