check my system

garybaldy 10:32 05 Feb 2003

I recently run the recovery cd_rom on my laptop and since then its been acting strangly is it possible for me to check to see if there is a problem in my system and how .I use winXP would a check detect a virus or trogan horses and how could see if someone has entered my harddrive without me knowing.

powerless 10:38 05 Feb 2003

Hows is it acting strangely?

Virus and trojan, yes go ahead - scan away.

It is possible to look to see if someone has been on your computer...

1) Fingerprint the keyboard

2)Contol panel > Administritive Tools > Event Viewer > have a look at the logs - Good look though, if you can remember the time you logged on to your cpmputer then your ok if not then forget it.

Also install a firewall.

powerless 10:39 05 Feb 2003

Drivers etc up to date?

garybaldy 10:48 05 Feb 2003

Powerless
As you may be aware i am trying to find my feet in this minefield that is known as computing.I need to know how a check my computer for viruses ,is there a procedure i can follow that will scan my drives for anything that shouldnt be there ,will the scan inform me of any viruses or of any activity from another source that may lurking somewhere within.

JoeC 10:50 05 Feb 2003

click here and down the left side, click on Symantec Security Check. : }

garybaldy 11:02 05 Feb 2003

thanks JoeC
just done a check and have been advised to install a firewall .is there already a firewall program in winXp.and if not can i download a free program.

powerless 11:02 05 Feb 2003

Sorry i was not aware :-(

click here (sorry JoeC)

Click on "Scan for Viruses" Then wait a few minutes and a window will pop up asking do you want install norton definitions. Click yes, it will run a scan and tell you if you hve a virus.

However it will not scan all files on your computer. There is a free Anti virus program out there called AVG. I personally dont use it but many on here do click here to get it.

Install and scan.

That'll do for now.

powerless 11:03 05 Feb 2003

Doh not fast enough.

MartinT-B 11:04 05 Feb 2003

I recommend Symantec security check

powerless 11:05 05 Feb 2003

Windows XP does have a firewall but its very basic...

These are free

click here ( i use this i'll help you set it up if you like)

click here

garybaldy 11:09 05 Feb 2003

Powerless ,the second link you sent was all in german how can i get this in english

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?