check list to speed up an oldish pc

howard64 12:22 12 Jul 2009

I am getting more and more oldish pcs to sort out so thought I would compile a check list to work to. Have I missed anything? are there any more things to add? All suggestions appreciated.
Maintenance/Repair On An Oldish/Slow Pc
1. clean up the hard drive using the disk tools and add/remove programs to remove unused programs in consultation with the user;
2. record system information to list things such as: cd keys; ram; graphics card; sound card and free space on drive; etc.;
3. scan for viruses and spyware –install or update anti-virus software; firewall; adaware; spybot search & destroy and superantispayware;
4. run a defragmentation utility;
5. remove as many icons from the desktop as possible – group utilities in 1 folder;
6. use msconfig to stop unnecessary programs starting on startup;
7. open the case and completely clean it using compressed air and/or vacuum;
8. check for and get software updates;
9. turn off unnecessary windows services.
The order of the above actions can be altered to suit

Graphicool1 13:24 12 Jul 2009

I have been given an oldish/slow PC, that was destined for the skip. I believe the guy who gave it to me, originally got it from Noah, before he sat off for Mount Ararat.

I've decided to give Windows and all it's update problems the heave ho! Instead I'm installing a system that was designed specifically with old, slow PC's in mind. It's 'Open Source' software, so it doesn't cost anything either. Its 'Puppy Linux'.

Obviously you aren't in the position to change the OS in the systems you are referring to. But if they are old and slow I don't really think anything you do to a Windows based OS is going to speed them up for very long.

The machine in question is a Gateway. Before I decided to take this radical step, I did a clean install of Windows. It was quite swift, until I started re-adding the necessary extras. Now it's almost back to square one. When I was give this PC the previous owner threw in a 10GB HDD. Actually I have a memory stick with 8GB. But as Puppy Linux only needs 100MB, I'm going to install it on this drive.

After I've put it through it's paces I'll post a thread with my findings. Another good thing about it is, you can install it on as many systems as you want for NO cost!

DieSse 13:41 12 Jul 2009

Add RAM where possible.

DieSse 13:43 12 Jul 2009

I've just refurbed an old system and put Puppy on it. The recipient is amazed what it can do, and how fast it is with such low resources.

bluto1 21:57 12 Jul 2009

Make sure you do not load more than 80% of the HDD or the computer won't have room to move, let alone to swing a cat.

howard64 08:43 13 Jul 2009

thanks all - I will now make up my fill in sheet and hopefully remember to do everything each time. If any of you would like a copy in word format just mail me. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017