Check Disk on Startup

ZZ Top 08:39 11 Nov 2006

When starting up my computer, regardless of whether it has been shut down properly or not, I always get the 'disk error' message stating that my hard drive needs to be checked for errors. If I allow this to run, the total process takes around 3 hours. I only have a 120GB machine! If I skip the check my computer boots up no problem. I use XP, Norton is my firewall/AV software, I also have Windows Defender and Spybot; none of these show any virus or the like. Is my hard drive failing? The computer is 'only' 4 years old. Grateful for any help.

brundle 08:41 11 Nov 2006

See the post by `Eric10` here click here

birdface 09:24 11 Nov 2006

Wait till you have to go shopping,Or something like that, And it should be finished by the time you get back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:14 11 Nov 2006

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294)
click here
Disable Autochk
click here

terryf 10:30 11 Nov 2006

You could also consider going to the mfr site for your disk and downloading their disk tools and running the (be careful NOT to do anything that involves format) The tools will usually do either a quick or a deeper check

ZZ Top 11:11 12 Nov 2006

brundle. Thanks for the help but running the fsutil dirty query command doesn't bring anything up. I think I have no other option than to disable checkdisk and hope for the best.

brundle 11:17 12 Nov 2006

Do as TerryF suggests and check the disk over, just for peace of mind; click here

Eric10 12:29 12 Nov 2006

Can you clarify "running the fsutil dirty query command doesn't bring anything up". Fsutil either reports that the drive is clean or that it is dirty. If you don't get any report at all then you haven't run it properly. Don't forget that it needs to be run from a Command Box not directly from Start, Run. Also the command given in my previous post was to check the D: drive; to check the C: drive use:
fsutil dirty query c:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?