Cheapest way of getting mobile internet access

rickus 14:12 07 Jan 2007

I will be travelling a bit and staying at places with free wi-fi.

What is the cheapest device I could get to effectively do some internet browsing?

Have thought about a PSP which you can buy new for c£140 but the 'keyboard' seems to be rather cumbersome.

STREETWORK 14:56 07 Jan 2007

Belkin Adapter (approx £20)

rickus 15:03 07 Jan 2007

Thanks Streetwork. Don't think I was specific enough:

I only have a desktop PC so I am looking for a separate device that will all of the job. A PSP would but seems to be cumbersome for internet access. Laptops are probably too pricey, for a blackberry I believe you need a phone contract. What else is there that does the job and is cheap?

rickus 20:35 07 Jan 2007

bump

woodchip 20:39 07 Jan 2007

A cheap Laptop

Technotiger 20:47 07 Jan 2007

As per woodchip ... a cheap lappie is about the only thing that will do all you want. Or Internet Cafe!

rickus 20:49 07 Jan 2007

Thanks - what about a PDA? - or does the usability/price side not stack up against a laptop?

woodchip 20:53 07 Jan 2007

How you going to see a Web page on a PDA as it should be? I have a Acer PDA and can connect to IE by computer but it's not at all good. How can you see a full screen

rickus 21:00 07 Jan 2007

As you can probably tell I know very little about these devices.

I saw a PSP for the first time yesterday and I think the type of display it gives would be adequate for my quite limited needs - i.e. mainly to be able to read text . However, the lack of a decent keyboard facility could make it very difficult to use. Do all PDAs only give you a part page view?

Woolwell 21:16 07 Jan 2007

I've got a PDA and mobile phone with WAP. Ok for e-mail but if you want internet browsing then go for a cheap lappie or internet cafe as already stated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?