cheap reliable hard drive

edenworkshops 17:25 23 Feb 2012

Hello

My external hard drive has just died, at least I think it has, I dropped it onto a carpet, about two weeks ago, then suddenly it stopped working and I kept getting an I/P device error.

I have checked and double checked the connections, changed usb sockets, changed the usb cable, and still get the error message.

My question was, can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable 40gb hard drive, its ages since I bought one.

I realise, cheap and reliable may not go hand in hand, but I guess above all I need reliability and long life...as long as I don't drop it.

Thank you

Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 23 Feb 2012

cheap, reliable 40gb hard drive

A 40g HDD will not be cheap - it will be cheaper to buy a larger one

Do you want a 2.5 inch drive powered by USB only or 3.5 inch drive that will required a separate power supply?

Just bought a 3.5 Verbatim 1G for £64 from a Computer fair.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 23 Feb 2012

Try taking the drive out of the case and connect direct to the PC motherboard.

spuds 18:16 23 Feb 2012

If you are seeking to purchase, then have a look at the major component retailer's like Ebuyer, Novatech and perhaps Amazon, because the prices are fluctuating nearly daily/weekly at present. Similar to memory chips a few years ago.

Last October, I bought an external Western Digital 500GB from Argos for £49.99.

edenworkshops 19:06 23 Feb 2012

What is the difference between a 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch hard drive, apart from the phusical size? I am seeing some cheap...£25.00...2.5 inch external hard drives, do they have a reputation for reliability, I see they are usb2.

Could I use one in leui of a 3.5 inch hard drive and hard drive case?

Thank you

Richard

P.S. I tried plugging the hard drive into the mother board but still no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?