Cheap Printer Recommendations

happyhotspur 09:29 17 Nov 2010

I have a nice new laptop but now need a cheap printer. I would mainly use it for printing letters but occasionally print the odd photo and a scanner would be a nice touch.

I saw the HP Deskjet 1050 on sale at Tesco for under £35 but wanted to know what else was around for this sort of price.

mooly 10:24 17 Nov 2010

Look at the price of replacement inks as that's very important.

Personally I like Epson printers for their superb print quality. Mine cost £45 nearly 4 years ago... and it's been ace.

As for inks, Jettec is the only brand I use (reputable company, full support and guaranteed... also last 90% longer) and you can find these adverstised from many sources. Had a quick look at Jettec for HP printer and only one "remanufactured" black available. I have had to many bad experiences with other unbranded cartridges.

click here

Jollyjohn 13:08 17 Nov 2010

Staples are doing the same HP1050 for £29.35 currently.

Dragon_Heart 01:54 23 Nov 2010

As 'mooly' check the cost of the inks.

I have used Internet Ink in the past click here

I too use Epson.

If 99% of your printing is going to be letters etc why not try a cheap laser ?

happyhotspur 13:09 23 Nov 2010

Thanks for the replies, good advice for consideration in regard to replacement inks. I am interested in some recommendations for printers as well.

Anybody?

mooly 13:37 23 Nov 2010

Epson 3 in 1's that scan and copy, and use Jettec inks would be my recommend.

Mine was a cheap one £45 ish a DX4050 and have seen similar on sale for under £30 at computer fairs and so.

The print quality is outstanding... I wanted something to print specifically on transparancies too with super fine detail and this it does.

sharpamat 08:46 29 Nov 2010

further to moolys post if you should go for the DX4950 have a think about fitting a CISS.

Most ink is wasted everytime you turn the printers on more than is used

there are many advertised on line and the cost is cheaper than a set of makers ink. Mine has paid for itself over the years

bothy 17:19 02 Dec 2010

sorry guys, what is a CISS?

BT 17:29 02 Dec 2010

Lots available have a Google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?