CHDSK

bpzoom 10:44 17 Jan 2011

I hope this has not appeared twice,the first attempt has disappeared. Windows XP Home Service pack 3. Where can I find CHDSK and how do I run it please? I want to use it with the /F parameter to find and fix disk faults if any.

Poitier 10:55 17 Jan 2011

Double click My Computer/Right click C drive/click properties/tools/CHDSK

robin_x 10:57 17 Jan 2011

Nice little tutorial here

click here

bpzoom 14:33 17 Jan 2011

Many thanks. I have run both phases of CHDSK as well as system file check SFC /scannow, and am waiting to see if there is any difference to the system performance. I might not have to wipe the C drive and reload Windows if all goes well. The only comment seen throughout the exercise was when CHDSK announced it was finding a home for some orphan files. Otherwise the checks went through without any results being announced. That nice little tutorial is excellent, thank you.

robin_x 15:11 17 Jan 2011

Your welcome. Speeding up your system is another ball game.

Check msconfig.exe or use WinPatrol click here;1

to check for unwanted start up programs.
Any you disable can easily be re-instated if necessary. Disable does not delete unless you insist.

Check your anti-virus is not configured to scan on start up

Run Malwarebytes and do a full scan.
click here;1

Run Ccleaner
click here;1

A recent post on another forum went through lots of investigations and then ran Reimage Repair.
Which flagged his HDD running at 1MB/s when it should have been 40+MB/s.
Keep your eye on the scrolling screen as the program runs at the end of install.

click here;1

Please note I am NOT recommending you purchase the software. I have no idea if it is any good.
But the free part of the scan is useful.

robin_x 15:19 17 Jan 2011

Also check your Virtual Memory
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?