Changing from wired to wireless ADSL

  de_de 16:51 31 Mar 2007

Right, total thicko questions here:

I'm after some buying advice, but not sure whether to put this in consumer, or network forum, so put it in here instead.

I am currently using a desktop PC, with UKonline 1MB ADSL service, connected the traditional way with a cable to my BT telephone point.

I would like to position my desktop in another room and have decided to go wireless instead of re-routing my cable.

Knowing very little about wireless, I could do with some advice on what I need to buy. My knowledge is currently confined to - I need a router and a pci card. I know little else.

My requirements are as follows. Im quite happy with my 1MB broadband and have no desire in the near future for faster speed. I dont want to spend more than about £80. I would prefer an all in one bundled kit, so I dont have to buy seperate bits.

P.S. does my ISP provider (UKonline) have anything to do with this?

Can someone point me in the right way?

Much appreciated Paul

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 31 Mar 2007

click here

comes with a wireless USB adaptor so no need to open the PC case and fit a card.

With all routers you need to connect by cable to set it up first.

  Fingees 17:10 31 Mar 2007

You need a wireless router/modem plus a wireless card to match for your PC.

It's better than trying to use a wireless router with a normal adsl modem, as it's all in one.

I use a belkin as it has a free helpline and lifetime warranty.
there are much cheaper ones, and all are quite good.

i would suggest you ask about one at your local friendly computer shop. and think about it, together with further advice from this forum, you should be OK.

  Dipso 17:41 31 Mar 2007

Further to Fruit Bat's link, this is the version with the free USB adapter click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?