Changing Users on XP

russmini 09:56 30 Apr 2005

Ok, just inherited a computer, and obviously it has a user account, what i want to do is change it to my name, in all places.

I managed to change it on start up, but when you go into docs & settings, still comes up with the old name, if i right click and go onto rename, i can type my name in but then comes up with the message:

***** is a windows sytem folder and is required for windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed.

The reason i want to change other than to get rid of old persons name, is because, cookies etc etc all come up with ******@ bla de bla.

Hope you all understand this.

Thankyou..

Diodorus Siculus 09:59 30 Apr 2005

Why not format / reinstall windows? Who knows what other problems may be down the road? That way at least you will have a clean machine and will know where you are when any problems arise.

russmini 10:09 30 Apr 2005

Could do, but not got XP disc and can not get one either. I have spent ages putting A/V, spyware, cleaners etc etc on here and the problem it did come to me with is long gone, and must admit it is far better than my old comp ( that everyone on here helped me with for ages ). Soon to be even better as well since i pretty much know what to go and buy to upgrade it now thanks to members on here.

So, all working fine just want to make it mine.

Diodorus Siculus 10:15 30 Apr 2005
  VoG II 10:20 30 Apr 2005

click here - do NOT "sign up to see this solution" but scroll down to Accepted answer.

russmini 22:06 30 Apr 2005

Ok, thanks you pair, just got back in, so will probably have a look tomorrow / monday, depends on my work load at home !

Thankyou..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?