Changing Swapfile drive letters

Gary7 07:01 23 Jan 2004

I've been banging my head on this monitor all night, to discover Windows doesn't have enough space left on C:\ for a useable swapfile. But I have plenty of space on D:\ but I just cannot force it to permanently change to D:\, under Control Panel/System/Performance/Virtual Memory. Everytime I change it and then reboot, it's back to trying to use C:\ ! Can't find anywhere in the registry that specifies the swapfile location. Anyone help please ?

Jester2K 07:22 23 Jan 2004

What version of Windows?

Gary7 08:05 23 Jan 2004

On this machine, Win98SE, Jester.

ventanas 08:20 23 Jan 2004

Control panel\System

Performance Tab. Click Virtual Memory.

Choose Let me specify my own settings, and use the drop down list to change the drive.

Jester2K 08:28 23 Jan 2004

I assume you are doing as shown just over halfway down click here ??

If you make the changes and then go back in before rebooting do the changes stay? Or are they back to original settings again?

Gary7 09:42 23 Jan 2004

Strangely, even just staying in Control Panel/System Properties/Performance/Virt Memory window, and changing to 'Let me specify my own...' window; changing the drive letter, clicking "Yes" to 'Are you sure...', still resets to C:\. I've even tried ticking & not-ticking the 'Disable Virt Mem' box, with the same effect. Weird. Tried both avenues with a re-boot & not -- same effect -- back to swapfile being used on C:\.

Thanks for your link click here
Jester - about to read it all up. Must be a trick here somewhere. Help :-(

Sheila-214876 11:45 23 Jan 2004

What do you consider the size of a "useable swapfile" My swapfile (min 200mb, max 400mb) is on drive E: My way was, right click My Computer, Properties, Performance, Virtual Memory. then follow ventanas system. Type in your own min and max, OK it all and reboot.

I think that if your C: drive is that short of space for even a swapfile I would consider getting a bigger hard drive, or, if it is a partitioned hard drive why not use Ranish free from click here to increase the partition size.

Gary7 22:51 23 Jan 2004

Well, the size of a swap-file is proprtionate to the amount of RAM you have and the applications you would like to run. I don't run memory hungry graphics or video jobs, so have just 512MB of RAM, so consider 2.5x 512MB a sensible swap-file size. But only had 333MB ! Daft really.

You're right <b>ennuye</b> my C:\ should be much, much larger. I'm gonna have to repartion this w/end. Bugqer!

Anyway, the good news is that I've sorted it out (also thx to Jester). The way to do it is to set your desired part-size and click-thru on OK. But when re-checking, to click 'Cancel' <b>NOT</b> 'OK' again, and it stays in the right place & right size.

daba 23:02 23 Jan 2004

You might like to consider that having Min and Max sizes the same value will mean that Windows no longer has to do any calculations regarding how big the virtual memory needs to be.

The theory is that it speeds Windows up a tad, although I can't sustantiate the claim.

I have 512MB RAM, and a swapfile of 1GB min, 1GB max on drive D:. PC has been running this way for well over 18 months with no problems.

Gary7 23:13 23 Jan 2004

That seems fine, dada. But I cannot understand why some1 would set the max and min to the same size. That means the swapfile is allowed 0 (zero) bytes !

That aside. The fastest spinning drive letter on your physical HDD is the outest one. That is C:\. Second fastest is D:\ etc. So to keep up file swapping going as fast as poss, you'd put your swap-file in the fastest <drive-letter>.

Windowns is pretty good at controlling it's swapfile size (which is dynamic within the imposed limits by the system or user).

daba 23:30 23 Jan 2004

obviously you wouldn't set Max = Min !!
you would go for the contra option, Min = Max.

There are other considerations as well as cutting down on Windows tasks, for instance, the disk area used for your swapfile, if dynamic, will inevitably become fragmented. However, by specifying a fixed size, once created, the swapfile remains a contiguous block on the disk map, thus making access to it more efficient (this can be observed on the graphical display of most defraggers, I use Norton SpeedDisk).

Not sure what you mean by "The fastest spinning drive letter on your physical HDD is the outest one. That is C:\. Second fastest is D:\ etc."

Assuming you have a single drive partitioned into C: and D:, then disk access will be the same whether you use C: or D:, the disk does not speed up or slow down to access the inner or outer tracks on the disk, and as there are the same number of sectors, it makes no odds what you use.

If, however, like me, you have 2 physical drives (C: is 8.4GB, D: is 40GB), you can put your swapfile onto D:, and with Windows on C: it all helps to streamline Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?