changing the start up - guest account

trisha01 12:27 28 May 2007

How do I change the start up programs in the guest account? I don't want messenger and other programs loading up on start up.

howard64 12:38 28 May 2007

when logged in the guest account try - start - run - msconfig - top right hand tab - startup - take the tick out of the left hand boxes for the things you do not want to run.

trisha01 01:09 29 May 2007

The guest account doesn't have permission to do this - so I'm stuck as to what to do next

Taff™ 06:39 29 May 2007

I wouldn`t use the inbuilt Guest account. Create a new user called "Visitor" instead. I`m pretty sure the Guest account is by default a "Limited User" hence you can`t change anything in msconfig.

You may be able to make "Visitor" initially an Administrator, make the changes and then restrict it to Limited for ongoing use.

Sheik Yerbouti 07:09 29 May 2007

click here

Autoruns is a nice little free app. which lets you choose what starts and what doesn't with windows. D/L link at bottom of page. *use with care*

trisha01 09:38 29 May 2007

Thanks Taff I think creating a visitor account is a good idea, do I need to assign a password to this account? lol I don't trust myself with the Autoruns program!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017