changing serial number in xp

The Lemon 18:44 06 Jan 2009

I received a laptop with a formatted hardrive. I installed my windows xp home edition and have downloaded all the updates (8 hrs!). After I have done all this I found the original verification sticker with the serial number. As I'm doing this for a friend I would like the original serial number to be on the laptop. Does anybody know if it is possible to change the serial number in the registry? Thanks

Technotiger 18:59 06 Jan 2009

Hi, I don't fully understand what you are saying - whose copy of XP did you use to install on the laptop - 'doing it for a friend'? Is the copy you installed also on any other computer?

bluto1 21:48 06 Jan 2009

....and also, what OS was on the laptop before you used your XP disc to install?

If you were installing XP on your friends computer then you MUST use the product key on the verification sticker on his comp provided he had XP on it originally. You cannot use your product key as this would be illegal, and Microsoft does not like that.

Eric10 22:26 06 Jan 2009

If I am reading your post correctly, you are wanting to replace an illegal Product Key with the legal one on the laptop sticker.

If the code on the sticker is for the same version of XP as you have intalled then Winkeyfinder should do the job for you. click here

Also Keyfinder 1.51 from Magical Jellybeans can do it. click here

click here

This will do the job for you

The Lemon 10:09 07 Jan 2009

Thanks all for your replies. I apologise for the confusion. Please let me explain. Friends of mine go to Africa every year as missionaries. To help a Bishop out there, they asked in a local church if anybody had a laptop they didn’t want. They received a laptop but unfortunately the hard drive was totally wiped. So they asked me if I could get it working. I loaded my legal Windows XP SP2 onto it and as I am now technically the owner of this laptop, I believe this is legal. This is the same OS as I have on my home computer. I downloaded all the updates including SP3. To get round the legal technicalities, I shall be lending this laptop to the Bishop in Africa. (Is this legal? I don’t know!) Anyhow after I had completed all the work I found the original sticker of authenticity with the XP product code on the underside of the laptop. As I was not happy with my product code being used in Africa, I want to change the product code to the original code that came with the laptop without having to format and reload yet again. I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks

Technotiger 10:17 07 Jan 2009

Yes, you can use the original Key found on the laptop - it would be illegal to have left it as it was, with your key on it - assuming that you are still using your own OS and key on your own pc at the same time.

Technotiger 10:19 07 Jan 2009

Other than re-installing the OS, using the key found on the laptop, I don't think that there is a way to change the key once installed.

Fingees 10:31 07 Jan 2009

This may help

click here

Technotiger 10:33 07 Jan 2009

Thanks - bookmarked!

DieSse 11:14 07 Jan 2009

Also

You can use Autostreamer to create a WinXP CD, and incorporate SP3 at the same time - otherwise they may be lost without an actual CD in case of emergencies.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?