Changing PDF file names

yahwob 15:39 01 Dec 2008

Hi,

I work in a small office where we have a lot of PDF files stored on a server. There is a link to on my own pc to the folder where the PDF's are stored.

I now have to change the names of the individual files,( adding the date to them) and although I can do this working at the server I can not do this working from my own PC as I get an error message saying that Access is denied and to make sure the disk is not full or write protected or currently in use.

Well it's neither of those so I can't understand why it won't let me change the file names. If I have to I can change them sitting at the server but I'd rather do it at my own desk. Any ideas?

Thanks

Switcher 15:53 01 Dec 2008

Your IT person will have to enable authorisation for you to do this at you workstation.

yahwob 15:57 01 Dec 2008

Well the thing is another guy in the office can do it from his workstation and on the face of it theres no difference between the properties of the pdf files he's accessing and the ones I'm accessing.

The only difference is he's using acrobat 9 whereas I'm using 7.

Switcher 16:08 01 Dec 2008

Perhaps his PC has a different authorisation level. For instance he might log in as an admistrator, or perhaps his network configuration is different. Each user in a network can have different permissions granted. It is not the properties of the PDF files that matter so much as the properties of your account on the PC or even associated with your personal username. If your colleague logs on to your PC using his credentials can he then rename the files.

yahwob 16:11 01 Dec 2008

Well you could well be right of course, but we don't have passwords to log onto our seperate pc's, just turn them on and away we go, so him sitting at my pc wouldn't make any difference, I do see your point though about maybe his pc has a different authority level to mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?