Changing Operating Systems

onokeck 15:16 13 Feb 2010

Is it possible to uninstall (get rid of) an OS and install an upgraded one? I wish to upgrade (change) a machine from WinXP to Vista HP. Is it possible and if so where do I begin. I have the disks for both OS. The machine is Vista compatible by the way. Thanks

johndrew 15:36 13 Feb 2010

You should need only to boot from the Vista CD and follow the prompts if you want to completely overwrite XP with Vista. But if you want to run both click here.

You should backup all your personal data before you start as otherwise you may lose it. You should also ensure you have Vista compatible software and the necessary drivers for your hardware in case Vista doesn`t have them.

Pineman100 18:28 13 Feb 2010

As johndrew has explained, running a complete installation of Vista will format your drive, thereby completely removing your XP installation.

click here

onokeck 22:34 13 Feb 2010

Many thanks to johndrew and pineman100 for your responses. I did not wish to just start an install of vista over xp in case it caused problems. Your advise has cleared this up. Again, PCA members have provided such a great help to us 'winklies'! Thanks!

Pineman100 12:40 14 Feb 2010

We wrinklies have to stick together, you know!

;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017