Changing the operating program.

valbv 19:49 20 Feb 2006

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 running Windows 2000 Professional. It takes ages to load and is password dominated. Iam about to replace it.
I would like to set up the Toshiba Laptop for the grandchildren (all under 9) to use for their Tweenies, Winnie the Pooh, Reader Rabbit and similar learning programs. I have Windows 98 SE disks from an old computer, But I am happy to buy a copy of Windows XP Home if this would be a better idea.
How do I go about changing the operating program? Do I need to remove everything else on the hard drive (9.0GB)?
Any/All advice would be welcomed.

quack 20:04 20 Feb 2006

The best idea is to buy a copy of XP. You then enter bios (by pressing delete or F1 whilst booting)and set the boot order to CDROM as first boot option. Put the XP disk in the drive and it will boot to setup. One of the options available is to remove any previous Windows installation. Take this option and XP will remove Win 2000 and load XP fairly painlessly - just follow the on screen instructions.

Devil Fish 20:07 20 Feb 2006

i have had a quick look at the spec P3 128meg ram

i wouldn't get xp for it personnaly it would grind to a virtual halt so would be bad money spent

the best advice would be to give it a good spring clean clear out everything that is not needed and keep the existing installation becuase it looks as though it was setup to run win2000 /nt

as for the password their is a way to set it up to automaticaly logon without putting the password in each time cant remember off the top of my head how it is done but will look into it

valbv 15:55 21 Feb 2006

Thanks to Quack and Devil Fish for the replies. Referring to Devil Fish response, according to a Belarc scan, this Tecra 8100 has been fitted with two 128mB Ram boards (256mB). Would this make any difference to the performance under Windows XP?. If not, I would appreciate your follow-up regarding avoiding the log on each time.

Devil Fish 18:19 21 Feb 2006

sorry it has taken time to get back been tied up with a few other things

to logon without entering the password each time

try this

Preventing the Password Prompt in a Non-Domain System
1. In Control Panel, double-click Users and Passwords.
2. Click to clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box.

NOTE: This option does not appear on a system that is a member of a domain.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Click to clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on check box.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:27 21 Feb 2006

To run well Windows XP really needs a minimum of 512MB of ram. 128MB would be so slow as to be unworkable whilst 256MB is still only barely adequate and would still be a bit slow.

valbv 09:43 23 Feb 2006

To Devil Fish. I tried the sequence you suggested but when trying to delete another two authorised access details I got an 'Access Denied'. However I did find a box which b entering the password would allow automatic log on without the need to enter the password again. This worked, so the problem has been resolved, so no need for the children to insert the password now.
Many thanks to all who offered other advice.
Bernardvs

quack 09:44 23 Feb 2006

If you have 256Mb of RAM then XP should run reasonably well. Microsoft suggest 128Mb as a minimum click here but somewhere it seems that a new minimum of 512Mb has been adopted by users as the minimum required. Certainly the more RAM you have the better your OS will perform but this is true of just about every programme you install. I would suggest that, as you intend this machine for your grandchildren, the RAM you have would be fine for their needs.

valbv 10:21 23 Feb 2006

To Quack. Many thanks for this info, and the attachment. I feel this may be the eventual route I will follow, but I am trying the other suggestions for a few days.
This was my first venture into the forum and I am overwhelmed by the kindness and ready responses. Thanks to you all.
bernardvs

Devil Fish 13:39 23 Feb 2006

on the desk next to me is a p3 933mhz 256meg of ram

yes it does work but it is painfull to watch progs seem to take an age to load among other things

the 512meg of ram a lot of people suggest as a minimum comes from experience of runing win xp and to many people 512 gives an acceptable level of performance with this operating system

whilst ms state 128 will run it if you want reasonable performance you need more for a decent experience with it

you also have to bear in mind a basic xp setup on its own will eat more than 128 meg of ram thats without any other progs like AV Spyware firewalls etc it is quite a hungry O/S with reguards to resouces

quack 13:49 23 Feb 2006

I did state that the more RAM the better but in this case we are talking about a machine for the under 9 year old grandchildren. The object of the exercise was, I believe, to enable the machine to be passed to them without having to spend to much money. I stand by my statement that 256 Mb will run at a sufficient level for the purpose intended. I also have two machines running XP but the least powerful of these is an Athlon 64bit 3500+ with 1Gb of RAM so maybe I am not the person to ask when dealing with less powerful computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone