Changing Normal.dot in 2003

exdragon 11:43 25 Jun 2007

Can someone point me in the direction of the way to do this, please - I can't find it in Search.

I've got into a total mess and now have 4 versions of the template on Microsoft/Templates, with none of then being the original and none being exactly what I thought I wanted. For example, one had the wrong sized font and one had US page size showing.

I've obviously got mixed up with renaming, replacing and deleting... I've run the Repair bit from the CD and now when I open a blank Word doc, I do get the default (TNR font, US page size, large margins). Should I just delete everything in the Templates folder and same the newly arrived one as normal.dot and then start again?

Batch 11:56 25 Jun 2007

If you delete (or rename) normal.dot, Word should just create a default one the next time you run Word. That is probably your safest bet as a start point to go forward from. Of course you'll lose any settings (incl. macros etc) that you may have created.

exdragon 12:05 25 Jun 2007

I think that's one of my problems - what I have listed as Normal.dot in the templates folder isn't the 'proper' Normal.dot, it's one I've partly changed.

When I format the doc the way I want and then try to save (with nothing else being called Normal.dot), it says it can't give a document the same name as an open document.

Seem to be going round in circles and I wish I'd left well alone!

pj123 12:28 25 Jun 2007

Find and delete every instance of normal.dot you have on your PC. Open Word and you should have the default normal.dot. Make all your alterations/amendments that you would like to keep. Save it as a template but call it normal1.dot

Exit word and then find the normal.dot template and delete it. Now find the normal1.dot and rename it normal.dot

Open word and it should open your amended template.

exdragon 12:38 25 Jun 2007

That's what I thought I was looking for - thanks a lot! I'll keep your reply for the next time I decide to change fonts...

exdragon 13:53 25 Jun 2007

I'm obviously still doing something wrong: when I look in the templates folder, it shows my new version, but when I open Word, the new blank doc is the old version.... I've rebooted to see if it makes a difference, but it doesn't.

exdragon 13:58 25 Jun 2007

Just discovered that if I chose File/New then Blank document, I get my new version, but not if I click the New Blank doc icon on the toolbar

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017