Changing network password help!

Miss Happy 21:47 06 Nov 2008

Do I need to hardwire my 3Com office connect 11g firewall wireless router to change my network password on my laptop?
I keep receiving a message starts something like this 'Another wireless ...' and it sounds like someone has cracked my encryption plus speed is very slow at times, with connection tab flashing away often?
Many thanks and sorry if this has been asked before but I couldnt find answers via search ;)

mgmcc 22:21 06 Nov 2008

Whenever altering the "wireless" settings in a router, you should connect to it by ethernet cable and not wirelessly. This is because, as soon as you save the changes, your existing settings cease to be valid and a wireless connection crashes.

brundle 22:27 06 Nov 2008

If you're running WEP encryption, change to WPA or WPA2.

Miss Happy 22:33 06 Nov 2008

Thanks mgmcc. I was hoping I wouldnt need to - no such luck!
I remember another forum member kindly helped me setup my wireless connection over a year ago - he said any changes made to security would need it hardwired first, you've confirmed this, Blast!
It seems to be quite a regular occurence that the 'another wireles...' message pops up, any ideas, I may be concerned for no reason (bet it is going to be a 'Blast' again!), maybe I should change my passwords more often?
Gosh I feel i've been lazy!

Miss Happy 22:44 06 Nov 2008

Thanks Brundle, Under connetion details it says:
data encryption: TKIP
with
network authentication: WPA-Personal
I am going to have to do some work on it ...tomorrow! All the bits are buried in a place I cannot remember where that 'place' is though nor where to plug bits in! Shows how long ago I did some security changes.
If I have problems... I'll be back!
Thanks again

tullie 22:42 07 Nov 2008

Just plug your cable into router then go into router configuration page,theres no other bits to plug in

Miss Happy 18:13 12 Nov 2008

I have re-encrypted the WPA on my wireless router & everything is going OK.
Thanks for all your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?