changing my PSU

mitey_won 20:18 12 Oct 2004

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to an nvidia 6800 but from reading reviews, it seems that i'll have to upgrade my puny 280w psu to a 350w.
How do I do this? Is it easy? im not very experience with pcs, have replaced a hard drive and various pci cards before, is it harder or easier than this?

thms 20:23 12 Oct 2004
  Dorsai 20:44 12 Oct 2004

Depends on the PC. Some nasty PC makers use odd sized PSu's, so you have to buy from them.

If it is a standard size, no problem at all. Just get a new one, pay attention to what is plugged in, and no prob.

The only possible problem (a minor one) is that the wires on a new PSu may be too long (so they can be 'universal'). I ended up with a new PSu, workes fine, dont get me wrong, but the cables are sooooo long...coiled up inside the case like there is no tomorrow..and plugs for stuff i dont have...Just took a while to 'coil it all up and tuck it away'.

But a simple fit, just ages to tidy up.

citadel 21:54 12 Oct 2004

As you are fitting a powerfull graphics card it will pay you to get a top quality psu like an antec or zalman. These give system stability.

polish 22:22 12 Oct 2004

should be no problem but would go for at least 400 watt as it does improve the system generally as i found earlier this year

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?