Changing the motherboard and keeping the same OS !

pro2010 12:48 14 Mar 2008

Hi All

I want to change my old motherboard with a new one but I do not want to buy a new operation system I went to keep my existing operating system.
My question is this, what do I need too do? Thank you

Midsman2005 12:54 14 Mar 2008

I never thought this was possible, but I might be wrong(?).

Everytime I have carried out a motherboard upgrade I have re-installed the OS.

Maybe someone can correct me though...

sunny staines 13:05 14 Mar 2008

should not be a problem, if it is just a motherboard, but if its a complete new pc you will have to have a retail os as an oem cannot be transferred to another pc in theory.

wotbus@ 13:08 14 Mar 2008

You don't have to buy a new OS.
You will have to re-install the one you have.
In a nutshell:
You should make a complete backup of your existing HDD, exchange your motherboard then re-install your OS. Sounds simple but there are several niggles to go along with it but also straightforward if planned well and caution exercised.
Make sure you can access this site somehow while going about it. :-)
PS Do check items for compatibility EG Will you use your old memory, will it fit? Will your VGA fit the new board.

pro2010 13:53 14 Mar 2008

Thank you all for your responses.
Could you please tell me if this is possible if not could you give me the right steps?

Is it possible to take off the old motherboard replace it with the new one and attach all the other bits, which are compatible with the new motherboard and than just reboot the pc !!!

lofty29 13:57 14 Mar 2008

Assuming you have XP retail you will have to revalidate your OS. If you have OEM then you will have to buy new OS

chub_tor 13:58 14 Mar 2008

This guide should help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017