changing the language of os

  eddie937 13:46 10 Sep 2004

i live in germany and won a new computer with win xp pro (german).is it possible to change the language of my operating system without buying a uk copy.
thanks in advance

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:59 10 Sep 2004

Maybe you can change it to english US

try settings -control panel - regional and language options- language tab(2nd)- details - default input language .

mine has 2 options english us and english uk I assume the german version will have english us and german.

might neeed a german speaker to take you through the settings control panel etc.

Good luck

  eddie937 14:08 10 Sep 2004

cheers fruitbat.

  cga 14:09 10 Sep 2004

Fruit Bat /\0/\ is right.

Once you are at that point you will see Deutsch and you will need to ADD another language. In this case it willbe your favorite flavour of english (UK or US) but with a German keyboard (I assume your laptop has a QWERTZ keyboard).

Once you have done that you can set the default but you will need to reboot for that to take effect.

This will not eradicate all signs of German - there will be some error messages left in German.

Where in Germany are you. If you are near Munich then email me and I might be able to help some more.

  eddie937 14:15 10 Sep 2004

i'm in fallingbostel, north germany

  eddie937 14:16 10 Sep 2004

cheers for everyones help

  cga 14:21 10 Sep 2004

:-) Long way away then. Still - I hope the notes help.

btw: You can Have more than 1 English option in case you want to use an external keyboard. If you
Right Click on the task bar, select toolbars and ensure language bar is ticked you should get a little blue block icon with a white EN or DE in it. Clicking on this will allow you to select your language/keyboard combinations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?