Changing ISP - ADSL speed.

Pineman100 19:30 25 Jan 2011

We currently buy our phone line rental and calls from Sky, and our ISP is Tiscali (Talk Talk). I can save a substantial amount of money each month if I switch all of these services to a package with BT.

I should perhaps mention that our exchange is not unbundled.

I've used the BT broadband speed checker to see what kind of speed I could get from them, and it reports a download speed of 1.5 Mb. And yet I've used the PCA speed checker, plus three others, and they all reported a download speed of around 3 Mb.

I find it difficult to believe that BT's service would be any slower than Talk Talk's (given that they're both using the same piece of copper wire to the same exchange).

Is there any reason why BT may be a slower service, or are they perhaps being a bit conservative with their speed estimate so that I can't complain in the future?

Pineman100 19:32 25 Jan 2011

Sorry - I also meant to ask about my email address.

If I make this change of ISP, will I immediately lose my Tiscali email address?

Pineman100 17:33 26 Jan 2011

^

GaT7 17:54 26 Jan 2011

If you can remain with Tiscali as a PAYG dial-up customer (or can downgrade to this), you may not lose your email address(es). This is key: remain or downgrade.

I was with Tiscali dial-up for about 6 months many years ago, which I then downgraded to a PAYG dial-up account when I moved to BB with another ISP.

Ever since I've only been with other ISPs (for the last 5-6 years), but still have almost fully-operational Tiscali email addresses. The few limitations are a lower email store (500Mb), fewer spam/security tools, etc. But they don't affect me at all for my usage.

Also, there's no obligation to use Tiscali dial-up every now & again to keep your account 'alive'. I think I may have used it once or twice when I didn't have BB access for 1-2 days, & that's in a period of 5-6 years. G

lotvic 17:57 26 Jan 2011

It's the actual connection speed from you to your ISP's server that counts, not the actual download speed which is usually about 20-40% less and also depends on where you are downloading from and how busy that site is.
That's why download speed tests vary so much.

If the BT Broadband package you chose only gave you 2Mb connection then it would be about right.
Have you got a link to the package?

(I want to change ISP's when my contract's up this spring)

Pineman100 18:02 26 Jan 2011

Crossbow7 - many thanks for that advice. In order to use a dial-up account, would I have to have a dial-up modem as well as my broadband router? It's been so long since I used dial-up that really can't remember!

lotvic - thanks for your thoughts, too. The BT package I'm considering is this one: click here

961 18:06 26 Jan 2011

Don't take too much notice of these predictions, they are only estimates based on line length

Try an actual test of your existing connection using the new BT tester via

click here

My rural line shows a BT estimate of 2Mb but an actual test result of 7150 max, 5050 actual and an IP profile of 5500 using a plusnet package

Try the test morning time and then in the evening to see if there are contention problems with your existing ISP

Sunday am should give the fastest result

GaT7 18:10 26 Jan 2011

Dial-up only works via a dial-up modem.

But as I said, you don't even have to use it to have/keep it. Just 'downgrade' to PAYG dial-up if you can.

If you can't (under their T&Cs), then I think you'll lose your Tiscali email address(es), as one cannot even join their PAYG dial-up service these days - it's all TalkTalk now isn't it? G

Pineman100 09:07 27 Jan 2011

Thank you for that information. Your actual results, as compared with your BT estimate, are reassuring.

Out of interest I ran the new BT tester and achieved the following results at 9.00am today:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 2701 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3000 Kbps

This is broadly in line with other tests that I've done during the day.

By the way, what's an IP Profile, please?

Crossbow7 - thanks for that additional information. I've been getting a bit hung up on losing my Tiscali email address, but actually I really only use it for commercial websites these days (so that it attracts all the spam). I use Gmail for my personal stuff. So I think I should just relax and not worry about losing the Tiscali service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?