Changing ISP

harleyd 07:21 17 Jan 2010

I'm in the process of changing to a new internet provider and am a little concerned in case I lose my current e-mails (on file) and any other information during the change over. Is there anyway where I can perhaps save existing e-mail messages/information to make it as trouble free as possible & should I be doing anything else?

johndrew 10:46 17 Jan 2010

If you store your e-mails on your PC you will not lose them by changing your ISP. They are on your HDD and changing ISP will not affect that. If you store them as web mail, ie you need to go to your ISP mail page to read them, you should put them in your Inbox at the ISP site and mark them as unread to download them. They should then appear in your Inbox in OE, or whichever mail program you use.

You should also advise all those who you have e-mail contact with of your new address as soon as possible on changing ISP.

Most ISPs will allow a short period for any odd bits of mail that appear in your web account with them to be collected after the change over. You would need to ask how long they will leave the account active for this.

I am unsure of what other "information" you may wish to save from the old ISP unless it is confirmation of payments to them. If it is these then simply download details of payments from your account.

Jollyjohn 14:51 17 Jan 2010

Hi

Depending on your old isp your e-mail account may revert to a "pay as you go" account. This is a term from dial up days and in reality now it is free as long as you regularly log in and check your e-mails.
It is possible to have more than one e-mail account set up in Outlook express or other e-mail client. Just ensure you use the new account for sending and gradually your new e-mail address will take over.

harleyd 07:16 18 Jan 2010

Thanks everyone, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?