Changing I.P., want to change my Wireless Router

algey 22:41 17 Mar 2009

Am going to change Internet Providers. At the moment I have a wireless network (Netgear)running a Vista laptop and a Desk top XP.
If I take the offer of the new Providers Router,do I have to uninstall the Netgear router or can I leave it as it is?

If I have to delete it, is there anything I need to be aware of?

brundle 23:07 17 Mar 2009

If it's a cable router you don't need to touch it. Perhaps switch it off for a while on the day your new BB connection is due for activation so it can establish a new connection.

If it's an ADSL modem/router (connects to phone cable) you will need to access its configuration settings using a browser and put in your username/password for connection to the new provider.

algey 08:09 18 Mar 2009

Thanks for the answer brundle,which might come in handy. No doubt it was the way asked the question but my intention is when I change providers I intend to change my existing router(Netgear) to one supplied by the new provider,and was wondering if I will need to uninstall the Netgear softwear as it might conflict with the new softwear?
Thanks again

brundle 09:25 18 Mar 2009

Oh I see. There isn't really any need for "router software" as such, are you sure you're not referring to wireless adapter software? What router software is installed?

algey 17:23 18 Mar 2009

No doubt I'm refering to'wireless adaptor' software.(I'm very computer challenged!),so,can I leave it installed or do you think it will cause a problem with software that no doubt I will have to Install for the new Wireless Router.
Thanks again.

brundle 23:16 18 Mar 2009

Well there are standards in place for wireless communications, your wireless adapter ought to work with your new router. Your new router will have a different SSID (the name you see when you scan for wireless networks) and may or may not come with encryption enabled. If it's not enabled, use WPA or WPA2 (not WEP) and use the passphrase your Netgear router uses now - use this ( click here ) to find out what key you're currently using.

If the new router comes with encrpytion enabled, and it is WEP, change it to WPA or WPA2.

Having said all that, if your new provider uses the same connection method as your old one (ADSL or cable), your current router ought to work anyway - no specific need to change.

brundle 23:18 18 Mar 2009

"Your new router will have a different SSID" - I forgot to mention, you will need to establish a new connection if you do decide to change the router.
These instructions are for a Netgear router really, but give some guidance; click here

algey 22:43 19 Mar 2009

brundle
Thanks very much for your replies,with them I feel more prepared when I receive intructions how to change my routers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?