Changing how a file opens??

Stressed Mum 18:10 24 Apr 2008

Can't get my head around this - not functioning today! Every time I go to open a picute file it automatically choses Nokia - don't want that! Then if attachment on emails - also Nokia and if a movie Nero - don't want that! How do I default it all back to Windows Office Picture Manager and Windows Media Player... please... a simple easy way?? Thanks. Very SM :(

Stressed Mum 18:16 24 Apr 2008

ooops - sorry - running XP.

gengiscant 18:37 24 Apr 2008

Right click your picture or whatever,scroll down to 'open with'.Make your choice.

Stressed Mum 18:45 24 Apr 2008

ok - I do do that - but is there a default? I can't do it on attachment though - have to save first then open...

Noldi 18:45 24 Apr 2008

Just to go a bit further than gengiscant.
If you don’t see the program you want to use select other.

If you want it to always open with your new selection check the box "Always open with this program.”

Noldi

Stressed Mum 21:38 24 Apr 2008

Hi Noldi - thanks. Tried what you suggested. I can chose which program to use to open the pictures -but don't get an option to always use. Nokia is set in bold at the top - that's what I want to change. Attachments of video clips also show as Nero - when I click to open I have to save first (never used to have to) and then open by slection.

Stressed Mum 21:45 24 Apr 2008

Ah ha! It's ok - just discovered that if I choose one of the files and change the properties it appears to change it for all similar files. so far so good. Thanks for your help.

Jollyjohn 21:49 24 Apr 2008

OK
Try this
Start, Control panel, Folder options, File types
Scroll down until you find the file extension of the file you want to open, select it
Click on CHANGE this should then tell you what the file currently opens with and gives you the option to change that.
hope this works.....

Stressed Mum 22:45 24 Apr 2008

Thank you - done a few changes - not absolutely sure what I was doing - but I think it may have helped. Not sure yet with attachments as the one already received seem set in their ways! will have to wait for more! Thank you. SM :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?