changing graphics cards

hzhzhz 22:26 06 Sep 2005

basically,is it safe to install nvidia 6600gt drivers into a system containing an ati x800xl gpu.
what I have done so far is to take the hard drive out of the ati based system and put it in a new system comprising of a A8N SLI mobo but the pc wouldn't boot up. So I thought if I put the hard drive back into the ati system and install the nvidia drivers then put hard drive back into the nvidia system, would this solve the problem.

gudgulf 22:35 06 Sep 2005

Errrr....an nvidia card wont run with an ATI driver.

But that's the least of your problems.....simply putting a hard drive from an existing pc into a completely different one is asking for problems.

Give us the full details of the old pc operating system etc and the full spec of the new rig and we may be able to help.

hzhzhz 22:41 06 Sep 2005

OK. Present system is athlon 3500,k8vse deluxe and ati x800xl gpu.
The new system is athlon 4000, asus a8n sli deluxe with twin nvidia 6600 gt's.
I would like the hard drive from the athlon 3500 system and put it in the new system.
I have tried but system would not boot up.

007al 22:53 06 Sep 2005

your system drivers are for a completely different motherboard...your hard drive will not recognise the new motherboard and therefor will not boot.the best way is to back up everything you want to keep and reinstall windows.with a clean install and new drivers,you will have no more problems...just a pain from reinstalling everything

gudgulf 23:04 06 Sep 2005

If you have a full Windows Xp disc then the best bet is to boot the computer from that and do a repair install...then you can put all the new drivers you need onto the system and it will boot then, whilst retaining all your original programs.You will need to reactivate Windows and update everything.

hzhzhz 23:12 06 Sep 2005

Yes, reinstalling everything is the pain. What I was unsure about here was whether or not when drivers are installed, say for the 6600gt's do they just sit in the hard drive until the correct hardware is found or do they immediately look nfor the hardware and just cause problems if they dont find it. Please excuse my ignorance here.
Anyway a new hard drive will be got tommorow and start from scratch.
Thanks.

hzhzhz 23:18 06 Sep 2005

Just got your reply gudgulf. The problem here is that at the moment I only have an external cd drive.
Many thanks to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?