changing graphics card

archie330 16:37 12 Apr 2007

I am about to change my graphics card. I know it is good policy to disable current video adapter and drivers to prevent conflict.

How do I do this in XP?

James1947 16:58 12 Apr 2007

Uninstall any graphics card related software from Control Panel/Add remove Programmes

In device manager, locate your graphics card and uninstall it, when prompted to restart just shut down your PC

Remove your existing card, replace it with the new one, boot up and follow Windows/Manufacturers instructions for installing the software and drivers for the new card.

Stuartli 17:07 12 Apr 2007

It's also worth checking that you clear out all remnants of the previous graphics card drivers.

Driver Cleaner Pro is freeware and can be downloaded from:

click here

Also worth reading up the excellent TweakGuide guidelines to installing and configuring ATi and nVidia graphics cards at:

click here

click here

archie330 17:31 12 Apr 2007

Actually guys i have found a rather more difficult problem.
Having been told that a 7600GS would be a good upgrade from my MX4000 card and would "slot straight in to my ASrock K7S8X mobo, no trouble". Only it doesn't seem to fit in to AGP slot.
The cut outs and the number of pins are different.
So it seems I have to go through the old routine of phone the teccies at Novatech to find a solution.

Pine Man 18:33 12 Apr 2007

I suspect that you have got the PCI Express version.

archie330 18:38 12 Apr 2007

I hope not especially as the Novatech guy asked me whether my mobo was PCI express, and I told him, no - it's the AGP type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?