Changing folders in Ubuntu

SirMetal 16:15 13 May 2010

Hey guys.

I want to change the default location of the Pictures, Music and Videos folders so that they open the folders with the same name on my 8GB SD card. The reason I want to do this is because I do not want to store and cut short the life of my internal 4GB SSD.

I am running Eeebuntu with the Gnome interface.

Thanks in advance.

LastChip 17:03 13 May 2010

Sorry, I don't use Eeebuntu, but Linux is pretty much the same whatever distro is used.

Simply open your card, (probably an icon on your desktop for it) right click (create folder) and create and name to choice, folders as required.

Then save whatever you wish within the folders.

There's actually no such thing as a default anything in Linux. You can do what you like with it.

SirMetal 17:08 13 May 2010

Thanks for the response.

What I mean though, is when I click on places, it gives me links to Documents etc... but only the internal Documents folder. What I want is for the Document folder to link to my SD card, not the internal SSD.

LastChip 17:44 13 May 2010

Got to go out now, if it's not answered, I'll come back to you.

SirMetal 17:50 13 May 2010

Okay, thanks. Enjoy whatever you're going out to do!

Rahere 18:06 13 May 2010

I do some thing similar as I dual boot xp and ubuntu - I have it set up so that Windows XP, ubuntu are each on a small partition with My Documents on another – XP and ubuntu can read/write to the My Documents partition . I have the folders appearing on the ubuntu menu - see
click here

LastChip 22:58 13 May 2010

Rahere has essentially answered the question for you with his link.

If you consider your SD card as the XP partition discussed in the link, you have your answer.

But, there's one issue you need to be aware of and know the answer to before you start: does your SD card auto-mount?

This will depend on the configuration of Eeebuntu and whether you leave your card permanently in the machine or not.

If you get an icon pop up when either you plug the card in, or if it's plugged in, when you boot up, it's probably auto-mounting.

This is a major difference between the Linux (Unix) world and Windows. Windows is designed to always auto-mount virtually anything you throw at it. Linux by design, is not.

Once the device is mounted, you can link to it, as described in the link.

However, there will be a difference in the syntax and to determine what this will be, you need to find out where the SD card (device) is mounting to. It may be possible to simply right click it and see the path in Properties. It's likely to be something like: /media/[device name] but that's something you'll have to take a look at and determine yourself.

If you need further help, please come back to this thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone