Changing a file extension.

Daibus 13:58 18 Sep 2006

I would like programme that would allow me to change a file extension - into a JPEG for example.

Many thanks.

ArrGee 14:02 18 Sep 2006

Not as simple as that. If, as an example, you have a tiff file and want to change it to a jpeg, you can't just change the extension and convert it into a jpeg. You would need to open the original file in an appropriate application, then save/export it as the file type required.

VoG II 14:03 18 Sep 2006

click here File > Save As.

Stuartli 14:04 18 Sep 2006

You will need to open the file and save it in "Save As" mode with the new extension to preserve the original file.

You won't be able to convert a .jpeg file back to a TIFF or similar larger file...:-)

Daibus 14:20 18 Sep 2006

Many thanks for your replies - I presume if I install Irfanview it would allow me to change the file extension?

The main reason for my question is that I have an image file with extension "bits map image" that does not show in Picasa2, so I wanted to see that if I change extension to a JPEG it would be available in Picasa.

Cheers.

silverous 14:28 18 Sep 2006

Don't think of it as changing the extension, think of it as converting the file.

You can rename a .doc as a .xls - you've changed the extension but haven't actually converted it so it won't work.

In Picasa, go Tools, Options, File Types and make sure all the image types you want are ticked. You might find .bmp isn't.

Daibus 14:36 18 Sep 2006

Yes .bmp is ticked - strange!

Jak_1 14:47 18 Sep 2006

If you need to convert an image file then Irfanview is one of the best and easy to use programs. Best of all it is freeware:

click here

silverous 14:51 18 Sep 2006

Given that Picasa will do conversion it seems a bit backward to have to convert it to get it in there in the first place, I'd be more interested in fixing that.

Worth trying these steps?

click here

Stuartli 16:07 18 Sep 2006

That was VoG™'s suggestion a while back.

Mind you Irfanview is remarkable - it will even play your MP3 files.

Daibus 00:35 19 Sep 2006

Thanks again all for your replies.

Installed Irfanview and changed that image file to a JPEG and when I went back into Picasa2 it downloaded the new file but when I did a search from within Picasa nothing was found for that particular file.

Your link was very helpfull silverous and I followed all the suggestions but still unable to solve the problem - not big in itself but just a bit of a bug that´s all,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?