Changing a DVD Drive

Fateful Shadow 21:52 12 Sep 2006

I'm pretty sure my DVD-ROM drive is dead. I'm getting no response whatsoever even when all the cables are securely in place, so i'm thinking it's probably best just to buy another DVD-ROM and fit that one.

Found a great LG DVD-ROM on eBuyer, but it says it's OEM. What exactly does this mean? (I've seen it everywhere but have never really been sure =S )

Is it necessary to install drivers before installing it, or canI just attach the cables and see what happens?

Thanks =]

terryf 21:54 12 Sep 2006

Oem possibly means that it comes in a plain box without any cables (but you have got them). I would just attach cables and suck it and see

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:13 12 Sep 2006

OEM original equipment manufacturer. OEM stuff is supplied without any frills and support. If you want all the extras you need to buy a full retail product at a greater cost. If you have all the fixings and some burning software already then an OEM drive will be adequate, as the hardware itself will be exactly the same as a retail drive.

De Marcus™ 22:19 12 Sep 2006

This one from ebuyer isn't OEM and is dirt cheap click here

cowboy62 00:28 13 Sep 2006

oem means no fancy boxes sometimes no box at all just a plastic bag also no software or leads with this product which means its cheap no extra to pay for

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017