Changing default login details for Linksys router

funkey_monkey 22:13 12 Mar 2008

Hi,

I've got a Linksys WRT54G wireless router which I use with NTL broadband.

When I log into the router using 192.168.1.1 I use the defauult linksys setup of blank user id and 'admin' as the password.

I would like to alter this so that only I know the UserId and password for the router.

How can I alter the default values. I can't see the option on router interface page.

Thanks in advance.

funkey_monkey 22:16 12 Mar 2008

I should also say that when I look at Management under the Administration tab the router password is not the same as the login password - plus there is no option for userid...

MAJ 01:29 13 Mar 2008

The option should be on the security screen, funkey_monkey.

How's yer handbag? ;)

gazzaho 14:27 13 Mar 2008

Enter your User Name in the Wireless Network Name(SSID) field of "Wireless-> Basic Wireless Settings" screen and your password in Password field of "Administration-> Management" screen.

When you click save settings it updates the router and adds both username and password to the password field... I'm only guessing this as the password field only shows dots instead of the letters and numbers of the username and password, but when you count them up they are equil to the letters used for both.

funkey_monkey 19:42 14 Mar 2008

Gazzaho - yip that sorted it now. Not a very well defined method though - abit obscure.

Still, it seems to have worked :)

Thanks.

MAJ - My handbag is fine thanks :-D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?