Changing CMOS Battery question

Never again 09:47 28 Apr 2004

My friends pc is losing time and date settings when switched off and he gets a cmos error when booting which lets him progress into windows when F1 is pressed.

I'm pretty sure that this indicates a battery change (CR2032), but is it just a case of whipping out the old and putting in the new or will I have to note some settings, etc.

Sorry to have to ask such a basic question but my brain is frazzled at the moment and I don't want to unintentionally stuff up his pc.

Thanks

Graham ® 09:52 28 Apr 2004

Yes, note the settings 'just in case'.

click here

inneedofhelp 09:55 28 Apr 2004

After you have changed the battery, u will have set time /date etc. You may also, depends on mobo, set the fsb, however most boards have this set to 'auto' but older ones dont. Also, if he has an AGOP card, check that this has been set to the primary display device, as when you re-start, i bet it will default to the VGA. Apart from that, not much else springs to mind.
ps. u may also have to detect the hardrives again, again, this should be automatic, but older borards require you to go in and set these up.

Never again 09:59 28 Apr 2004

I'm off to get a battery now and I'll let you know later how it goes.

Never again 20:01 07 May 2004

Thanks everyone

The battery was the problem and as it was already loading defaults the above link and all your advice was very useful.

Problem solved by getting it from your local high street chemist chain store for £3 and pc is keeping time ok.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?