Changing bios setup drive order

greybeard 19:49 25 Mar 2008

Faced with a possible memory problem on a laptop, I wanted to change the order in which the bios boot up looks at the different drives in order to run a memtest86+ program.
I went into setup, and successfully produced the change I needed in another system that I was using to check the method. All OK so far.
However because the laptop doesn't boot up anyway, I have no way of checking what its current boot order is.
I can move the hdd to another laptop, and it occurred to me to wonder where the boot order sequence is *actually* located. Is it in the bios chip, or is it in a small sector on the hdd ?
If the latter, I could change it when I've migrated the hdd to the second laptop, then move it back.
The reason I thought of this possibility was finding that the boot order I found when I moved the hdd over to the working laptop didn't match the drives available !
The bios set up gave Diskette, followed by hdd, then none. But this laptop didn't have a floppy drive, so I started wondering.
If anyone can follow this ramble, and know what I'm talking about, I should be very grateful for enlightenment on the location of the boot drive order.

John

bobbybowls 19:58 25 Mar 2008

the boot order is in the bios.
when you say it is not booting do you mean in to windows, or not booting at all.
i cannot check my laptop as i don't have it here at the moment, but i suspect the boot order would be cd/dvd then hard drive.

greybeard 21:17 25 Mar 2008

Not booting at all.
Just for clarity, or not(!), the first laptop, which has both fdd and cd player, and is the one I can't boot up, has a working hdd, that I inserted into the second laptop which doesn't have an fdd (nor currently a working hdd, but that's a different issue).
When I then went into the bios settings of the second one for the first time, I was surprised to see that the boot up sequence was "Diskette/hdd/none".
This would have made sense for the first laptop, but not the second.

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone