Change/Remove Programs

Yimbo 21:20 06 May 2009

On the "Add/Remove Programs" window, I get a list of all the programs on my computer. But when I click "Change/Remove Programs", and highlight one, the "Change/Remove" option buttons only appear for a very few programs.

Is this normal - and if so, then how do I remove a program which has no "Change/Remove" buttons? I use XP (home).

blazingbadger 21:30 06 May 2009

Revo Uninstaller

click here

Yimbo 10:57 07 May 2009

Thanks blazingbuster! Got the Uninstaller you recommended and it works fine!

It probably doesn't matter now - but I'd still like to know why these "Change/Remove" buttons don't appear where they should!

brundle 11:10 07 May 2009

Not all applications allow you to change what's installed - some are just install or remove and that's it.

john bunyan 11:36 07 May 2009

Have you got Windows Install Clean Up?It works well but be careful to make a restore point first!

Sea Urchin 11:44 07 May 2009

What brundle says is true, but the great majority of your programs should have at least the Remove option. Security Updates will be the exception, but when you highlight them they will say "This update cannot be removed".

There is a known problem where these options can disappear. This might correct the situation

click here

and here's a kellys-korner fix for the same

click here

Finally a page with a lot of useful information about the Add/Remove Programs function

click here

Stuartli 11:52 07 May 2009

Don't forget that quite a number of programs have an Uninstall feature in their Start>Programs listing(s).

Yimbo 11:02 08 May 2009

I've noted what you all have said - and the good advice given. Sea Urchin's first "click here" did the trick. Great site! Thanks again folks. This fourm is worth my PCA subscription on its own!

Sea Urchin 11:24 08 May 2009

Glad to hear all is now well with Add/Remove - thanks for the feedback

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?